Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Joy of Roy


JD Sell in Terre Haute, IN:
Was tweeting with Roy Hibbert earlier today, and true to his word, he's been out there working out and honing his game every day. How realistic do you think it is that Roy could be one of the top 3 centers in the league this year?
Lang Greene:
I'm happy Roy is dedicating the time to hone his craft. When I saw Roy drop to 255 pounds before last season I knew the kid was "mentally" tuned in. There are centers in the league more athletic than him, but Roy is focused on becoming the best player he can be.

When I talked with him earlier this season he mentioned Jeff Foster as being a big influence on his desire to keep the weight off. I know most of you is thinking ... Jeff Foster? Yeah right!  But I'm not joking and I totally see why Roy mentioned him.

Jeff isn't the most talented big man but that guy's motor is always on. He always created things for himself because of his hustle and willingness to go all out every play. That's how he survived in the league so long when guys more talented like Stromile Swift and Eddy Curry have faded. 

Roy wanted to match the activity level Foster displayed on both ends of the floor. The only way to do that was to lose the weight.

I like Roy, but Top 3 NEXT season is a stretch. I'd take Dwight Howard, Al Horford, Andrew Bogut, Brook Lopez and Nene over him next season off the top of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment